Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Different Kind of Hunger

There is an inherent danger in writing a post like this
As Jesus said, “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven ." (Matt 6:1)  I am doing an outwardly righteous act and telling everyone about it. Well not everyone, but at least my 10 to 12 loyal readers. The danger is, that I would fast to impress all of you, and therefore lose any spiritual benefit I might receive.

Rest assured, I did not decide to fast with any of you in mind. Writing about it was more of an afterthought. I am fasting because this is what I need in this stage of my spiritual journey. 

I lack self control. When I have and itch I scratch it. I mean this literally (Stop scratching yourself!) as well as figuratively. If I think of food I eat something. If I think of TV, I watch something. Whenever I'm tired I rest. Whenever life gets too hard, I back away. I have no stamina to suffer. I have no will to deny my base desires. And I think there are a lot of others like me.

There is far too little talk about fasting in our day. It is a forgotten discipline. I know a number of Christians who have told me they have never fasted.  It's not just that we don't practice the discipline that Jesus and the Apostles, and nearly every notable role model in the Bible practiced. Our lack of fasting is indicative of a bigger problem, a lifestyle that lacks restraint. 

We live in a culture of excess. There are fast food restaurants on every corner. Stores and credit card companies implore us to buy whatever our hearts desire without waiting. We surf an internet full of images sure to satisfy every sexual desire with the click of a mouse. But with all this, we find we are not satisfied at all. We have a different kind of hunger that money and sex and food will not satisfy.

And that is why I write. I do not write as the spiritual guru who has it all together. I am a fellow traveler. Learn from my experience, both the good and the bad. In the end, perhaps my journey will inspire others down this road as well. And if it does, then I will indeed receive my reward from my Father in heaven.

I have never done anything like this before. I have fasted for a day or two many times, or more frequently a meal or two. I am mildly hypoglycemic, so I am allowing myself some diluted juice as needed to complete my normal routine. Other than that, I plan to just drink water.

Today I am beginning a seven day fast. I will write a post each day to reflect on what I have experienced physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Thank you for accompanying me on my journey. I am excited to see what God will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment