Sunday, October 27, 2013

A Different Kind of Hunger: Day 4: Really Living

Jesus came that we would have life to the full (John 10:10) But most of us don't actually live out much of this life. We sacrifice really living for comfort and safety.

Today I ran a 5K (3.1 miles) with my five year old son, Levi. He came in third in the 19 and under age division (which has nothing to do with my  point today, but I have to brag a little). I drank a little broth and juice and I feel surprisingly fine. Although the race was fairly easy for me, because I ran with Levi and not to compete, I still got those feelings I always get about 200 meters into a race. That thought enters my mind for just a second. This is hard. Why am I doing this? I'd rather be sitting on my couch watching football and stuffing my face with Cheetos than running a race.

Comfort is easy, especially for Americans. Most of us have the access to comfort and safety most of the time. Even if you have a  physically challenging job, you can still come home, sit in the easy chair, turn on the TV and live in relative comfort. Safety is also not too difficult. Our society is so obsessed with safety, that it takes a conscious choice to do anything that would put yourself in any kind of jeopardy. Comfort and Safety are easy, but they aren't living.

During the last four days of my fast, there are many times I had thoughts similar thoughts to what went through my mind during the race. This is hard. Why am I doing this. I'd much rather be eating whatever I am smelling right now than fasting. The answer I give myself is this. I can eat anytime I want. I have spent my whole life eating, and will spend the rest of my life eating. Why would I waste the opportunity to experience a seven day fast at least once in my life? I've experienced full many times. Now I get to experience hunger. I've experienced indulgence many times. For once I get to experience restraint. This is really living.

Far too many give up on really living for the sake of safety and comfort. They never experience the beauty of a 20 mile hike, the accomplishment of finishing a marathon, the satisfaction of giving sacrificially to help those in need, the joy of learning to discipline their bodies. There is a world of amazing experiences out there. None of them are easy. Most of them are worth it. If you want to follow Jesus, live life to the full.

No comments:

Post a Comment