Tuesday, January 7, 2014

I Don't Really Care About Global Warming

As I'm writing this in my warm cozy apartment, it's 3° Fahrenheit outside. It didn't get over 10° today, as we sit underneath a voracious polar vortex. I laugh to see people using this singular cold snap to prove global warming is a hoax.  I find it equally humorous when people see the deep freeze as sure evidence of global warming.  What?

I'm not a meteorologist, and neither are most of the people who make such brash claims. So I don't really know the truth about global warming. I don't know if the earth is warming, or cycling. I don't know if humans are to blame for the alleged warming. It doesn't seem unreasonable that we are. But it really doesn't matter to me either way. The threat of potential global warming will have no impact on the decisions I make about consumption, fuel, food, or waste.

But this is what does make an impact on my decisions about consumption, fuel, food, and waste: God said "Be responsible for fish in the sea and birds in the air, for every living thing that moves on the face of Earth.” (Gen 1:28 MSG) God holds me responsible for the world he has made. God has given us a mandate to take care of that world. We are co-rulers with God. And if we reflect God's heart, we will rule in a way that blesses everything under us. We will be a blessing to the land, the plants, the animals, and the people who depend on them.

God's greatest gift to humanity up to the advent of Jesus was the world itself. Designed by a masterful planner, the world has given us resources to build and grow and make an easy life for ourselves. God gave us a world full of animals, fish, trees, minerals, and farm-able land and fossil fuels. And every good gift comes from God (James 1:17). But the gift was given along with the responsibility to rule wisely.

It blows my mind that people who allegedly believe the Bible are often the harshest critics of responsible care for the earth. They drive their big SUVs and drink water from disposable bottles, and throw away excessive amounts of garbage, while refusing to support policies that protect the earth from the destruction humans are capable of. This is not responsible rule of creation. This is not obeying God's mandate to be responsible for every living thing on earth.

Regardless of the latest scientific views on global warming or popular environmentalist fads, followers of Jesus should be leading the way in responsible care for God's creation. Christ-followers should be the first to recycle, even when it's not convenient. Those who claim to be Christians should go out of their way to reduce their use of fossil fuels and other polluting chemicals. People who love Jesus should be champions of green energy, public transportation and better urban design, biking, walking, and green space. We should be using the creative powers God has blessed us with to find new ways to protect His creation and preserve it for those who will come after us.

We can do better. I want to be a better ruler of creation, so I am dedicating myself to being responsible for the environment around me. I challenge all of my readers to make a resolution to pick up one new habit this year to improve the part of creation you rule. Perhaps you can reduce your waste by  recycling or composting. Perhaps you reduce your consumption of fossil fuels by biking to work when the weather is suitable or even using public transportation for the first time. You could start by getting a refillable water bottle to take around with you. The possibilities are endless, and we don't have to join Green Peace to do it.

Refuse to let the world pass by. Be the ruler God intended you to be. He has given you an amazing gift called the world. Use it well this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment