Sunday, December 8, 2013

Running to the Fire: An Eulogy for Ronnie Smith

Ronnie Smith, American teacher killed in BenghaziOn Dec 5, 2013 American teacher, Ronnie Smith 
was gunned down during his morning jog near his home in Benghazi, Libya, where he taught at an international school. He leaves behind a wife and a young son. He was 33 years old


I never met Ronnie, but we did have some friends in common. From what I've learned, Ronnie was a passionate follower of Jesus. He loved the people of Libya. His students and coworkers describe him as a dedicated teacher. He also saw his role as something more than just an educator. He was shining a light on a very dark place. He worked to bring the kingdom of God to everyone he met.

There are several similarities between Ronnie and me. Like Ronnie, I am 33 years old, the approximate age of Jesus when he died. Ronnie and I are both teachers. I also lived in the Middle East, teaching English. Like Ronnie, I am a father and a husband. Like Ronnie, I see my life as more than just doing this or that job. I live to shine light and speed the kingdom of God.

Unlike Ronnie, I have never lived in a really dangerous place. Although, I am sure my friends and family worried about me a lot, the Sultanate of Oman is a safe and peaceful country, with a crime rate much lower than the U.S. I was never threatened once in my two and a half years there. 


But Benghazi is different. What the heck was Ronnie doing there anyway? A review of recent history reminds us that Benghazi was home to the bloodiest battles of the uprising to overthrow former dictator, Muammar Qaddafi. Less than a year ago it was the site of a terror attack on a U.S. embassy. Benghazi is home to a number of radical Islamic groups, some with ties to Al Quaida. Benghazi is not a nice place to be. Everyone with half a brain is getting out of Benghazi. But not Ronnie. Ronnie was doing everything he could to get in.

Eventually someone will try to make a martyr of Ronnie. I doubt he would consider himself to be one. Although a dedicated follower of Jesus, his faith probably had nothing to do with his becoming the target of terror. It probably had more to do with his nationality and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But it is no accident that Ronnie was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Ronnie had learned what followers of Jesus have known for hundreds of years. Jesus did not run away when death was on the line. Neither do his followers. When there is a fire everyone runs to get away. Christ-followers run back to the fire to help others.

Ronnie is certainly not the first to run into the fire. There was a hermit named Telemachas who willingly entered the Roman Colosseum and stood between the gladiators, imploring them to put down their weapons and stop killing each other. His blood was the last spilled in the Colosseum. There were the five missionaries who decided to love the most brutal tribe in the Ecuadorian jungle. When attacked, Jim Elliot, Nate Saint, Ed McCully, Roger Youderian, and Pete Fleming did not return fire, but willingly gave up their lives. Then there are countless others who's names are lost to history. People who hid Jews, bandaged wounds, smuggled Bibles, entered war zones, leper colonies, and every dirty place imaginable, because Jesus led them there.

I am preparing to move to one of the more dangerous cities in America. Some of my friends and family are rightfully concerned. Although we will be living in a relatively safe neighborhood, it will still be a big step down from Joplin, MO. Detroit is no Benghazi, but it's no picnic either. I am well aware of the risks. I also, like Ronnie, know the reward of following Jesus even into the hard places.

"If there's any single person in the entire universe that you can take a chance on, it's God." Ronnie once said. Ronnie took that chance. Ronnie ran to the fire. Ronnie fought the fire. And in the end, Ronnie wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment