Monday, January 21, 2013

God and Guns (part 2)

1213609What does the Bible tell us about guns?  This is the second part of my study.  Part one dealt with the role of government to use the sword (or by extension, gun) in warfare, as well as in administering justice and protecting the innocent. But what about disciples of Jesus personally.  Does the Bible tell us if and how we should use guns? I have discovered, we can not separate the use of guns form the greater issues of peace and violence.

When it comes to guns and violence, the most important consideration is love. Now by love, I don't mean gushy sentimentalism and disregard for real life problems like murder and hate.  I am not some hippy, dancing around with my eyes closed to the world at large.  True love is not blind.  It is not passive. True love "always protects," (1 Cor 13:7). If I love my wife and kids, would I not kill in order to protect them? This is in fact exactly what God does for those he loves. God said to Israel, "Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give people in exchange for you, nations in exchange for your life." (Isaiah 43:4). God's love for Israel is so intense, he would kill for them. He would kill for you too.

Biblical love does not preclude violence.  Biblical love does preclude most of the reasons we use violence.  Love "is not self-seeking." (1 Cor 13:5). The old "eye for an eye" rational is not compatible with love. Jesus set a new standard for nonviolence, or rather non-retaliation. Not only are we to love our neighbor, but Jesus told us, "love your enemies and do good to those who hate you." (Luke 6:27). If someone takes our shirt, Jesus tells us to give him our coat as well (Matt 5:40) I do not see Jesus justifying killing someone for our own protection, or to protect any of our "things."

So what does the Bible actually say about having a weapon like a gun? It is interesting to keep in mind that Jesus once told his disciples to buy swords. On the night before Jesus died, he was talking about how things will be different after he is no longer with them, how they will be on their own.  Then he said, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword , sell your cloak and buy one. (Luke 22:36)  Many scholars have pointed out that this sword, was really more of a large knife. It  was used for slaughtering animals more than self defense, although, it could be used for both. I believe Jesus main point was this: be prepared. Jesus was telling his disciples that they will be responsible for their own well-being on their next assignment.

When Peter actually drew one of the swords in an apparent act of defending Jesus, Jesus rebuked him. "'Put your sword back in it's place,' Jesus said, 'For all who draw the sword die by the sword.'" (Matthew 26:52) Then he added, "Shall I not drink the cup my Father has given me?" Jesus possessed a power far greater than a sword or a gun. Had he wielded it, he could have wiped the soldiers that arrested him into oblivion -eternally. We can not ignore the power Jesus refused to use. The way of Jesus is a way of suffering not fighting. Rather than fight for their rights, Jesus instructed his disciples to humbly "take up the cross."  Not only did Jesus willingly suffer when he could have defended himself, but he gave his followers and example to, "follow in his steps." (1 Peter 2:21). This Peter who drew the sword, would one day willingly lay down his life as a messenger of Jesus.

I can see Peter
putting away his sword
He won't fight no more
Love has come

So now comes the conclusion, where I am supposed to sum up, and by extension take a side in this rigorous debate. I can not see a strong biblical argument against owning a gun.  I certainly have no desire to take away someone's hunting rifle, nor can I say there is never a time to use the gun against another person. But I can say that guns are not the end, they are a tool that may be necessary in the present age, soon to become obsolete. I can say that the heart of everyone who has been transformed by Jesus does not rejoice in weapons or violence. God's Spirit leads us to long for the day when,

‎They will beat their swords into plowshares
and their spears into pruning hooks.
Nation will not take up sword against nation,
nor will they train for war anymore.  (Isaiah 2:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment